Finding a reliable web host for your online venture is as important as having a reliable place to live. If you currently
have a web site or are planning one, you will find yourself looking for a reliable web host to present your content on
the Internet. If you are simply creating a hobby site, that is a site on something of interest, you will have different
requirements compared to say a website geared towards e-commerce with the intent of making profits.
In the former (hobby site) one might be content with a cheaper web host or even a free host with limited functionality. An e-commerce or profit capable website might require a slightly different approach when selecting hosts. Today there are literally thousands of web hosts. Many are 'resellers' leasing servers at major data centers and providing services based on shared, virtual, and dedicated basis.
What to look for in a Web Host?
- Types of files permitted - Most hosts disallow use of their web space for backups
- Amount of disk space actually available - Most of the smaller/cheaper web hosts 'oversell' their webspace many times over. This is with the assumption that everyone won't use their maximum allowable space. This practice can lead to future problems if the host expands to fast. There is no such thing as "unlimited space".
- Allowable bandwidth - Same concerns as those above for disk space. There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth".
- Supported scripts and Databases - PHP/CGI/SSI/Python/etc and MySQL/Access/MSSQL/
- Money back guarantees - A nice insurance policy, just in case the service does not meet your needs.
- Support - Many small, one person operations cannot provide the quality of service available from bigger operations with dedicated support staff.
- Uptime Guarantees - You might have to search for this in the user agreement, but this is an important facet of picking a host.
- Cost - Of course, price of the service plays a kep part in your decision. As in almost everything else, with webhosting, you often get what you pay for.
Web Hosting Directory
- Lunarpages hosting solutions are powered by Dell PowerEdge servers,
offering 300MB of storage, 20GB of bandwidth, with MySQL, php, perl, asp, python and jsp, toll-free support - all for $7.95/month.
iPowerWeb - For $7.95/month you get 400mb of web space, 300 pop email accounts, 30gb of bandwidth, cgi, php, stats, and more.
PowWeb - For $7.77 per month, PowWeb provides 500 MB storage, 30 GB Transfer, 10 FTP, Cgi-Bin, 250 POP3, Online Community, Control Panel, Web based Mail, SSL, PHP3, MySQL, and a 30-day money back guarantee.
Apollo Hosting - Apollo has packages suitable for the most basic or the most complicated to e-commerce sites. Includes a 30 day money back guarantee.